Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Skeletal Structure...


Adam. Detail from The Creation of Man. 1511. Sistine Chapel Ceiling. Fresco-painting.
This was a difficult structure to figure out, I felt the torso was so wide that the egg shape of the ribs were too big.
David ('The Giant'). Marble, about 16ft high. The contract with Michelangelo is dated August 16, 1501.
This figure was easier to figure out since it was a straight on view. The spine however is a little harder for me to figure out because of the view. I feel that I still struggle with the curves of the spine and how they look in correlation to the position of the body when I don't see it from the side.

The Heroic Captive. Belonging to the Julius tomb. Marble, 7ft high. 1544.
I find this view to be the most enjoyable to figure out. You are able to see the line in the spine and the profile of the chest.






All pieces were done by Michelangelo:
Phaidon, (2007). Michelangelo, painting, sculpture, architecture(Phaidon Press Limited). New York: NY. (Original work published in 1953)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home