Saturday, November 8, 2008

Some of the Better Ones....

When starting out, like many I'm sure, I would try to draw the entire form when doing the quick sketches. Later I then realized how much harder it was to fit the entire image in the space I gave myself. It was also harder for me to get the right dimensions and proportions. I also felt right away that this was the best way to go about with the quick sketches, until the next few.
These few sketches are from later on in the semester, this process is much easier when starting out any sketch. It allows me to get the rib cages and all other body parts in proportion. The sketches start out from 30 sec from the left, 60 sec in the middle, and 5 min on the right. These sketches are easier to complete faster and with greater accuracy.
These are the long drawing from later on in the semester. The one on the far left, I've noticed, still has an issue with the size of the legs. I'm still trying the foreshortening and I feel over the course of the semester I have gotten better at it.
The image in the middle was a challenge, since the torso is so stretched over the cushion. As you can see I had placed the torso other places before finally getting it right.
The final image on the left was the most difficult, it's amazing how much different it is to draw women apposed to men. Everything is much more rounded and the muscles are difficult to see. You have to pay attention to the shadows created by them to really place them correctly.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Fichter [xenia elizabeth] said...

In the gesture drawings, you have the rib cage and pelvis. Now begin to incorporate the forward curve of the femur, the backward curve of the leg, and the arch between leg and foot.
This will make these look more like real figures and not just stick drawings.

November 22, 2008 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger Amy Fichter [xenia elizabeth] said...

your long drawings are the strongest part of your portfolio, along with your writing (which is clear and easy-to-read, not overly wordy or trying to impress).

things to work on: proportion--use negative shapes to help with this. also, work on what we started in class on thursday with the mark-making and value on the inside of the form so that the muscles look less like individual shapes and more a part of a unified whole.

November 22, 2008 at 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home