Saturday, September 12, 2009

Round Two

After having taken Life Drawing about a year ago I was instantly interested in continuing to the second. Towards the end of the semester we got to study the bone structure and the face for a few weeks which I found extremely interesting. I realized however just how much I needed to improve and could learn by taking the second class. So, while here I hope to improve not just on my drawing skills, but learning and figuring out the bone structure, and what I've always struggled with....looking at the picture as a whole. I tend to zoom in on one area and over work it without realizing that by doing this my proportions were very wrong.

Well.......this summer I have to admit I did little to no work on my own. It wasn't until the last few weeks of summer vacation that I started to feel a little artsy. I kept a sketchbook / journal all summer and since it was my first summer here in Menomonie I would ride my bike anywhere and everywhere hoping to capture or draw something that I found to be interesting.



This was a quick painting I did while staying at my dad's house for a few weeks. There was this tree in the backyard and for some reason every year it always loses it's leaves mid to late August. This summer I noticed that for some reason I took a shine to branches for no reason other than how I liked the shapes the branches seemed to make. I tend to paint minimally with just a raw canvas in the background, those of you who know my painting abilities know that the less I paint, the better.



Against my better judgement I've decided to post some pages from my sketchbook I started this summer. I got an extended break from good ol' Lammers and was able to go home for about a week and like I said earlier. The lower image is of that tree as well as the painting, the top sketchbook image is just something that was in my head, along with a great little quote. I am pretty disappointed at the lack of work I got done this summer. Since this was my first summer here in Menomonie I had huge plans to get a lot of work done and hopefully revisit some past projects and hopefully work on my portfolio. But such is life.....I did however finally realized that working outside of the computer for a change is extremely refreshing and I found myself using other medium instead of simply starting and finishing completely on Illustrator or Photoshop.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy Fichter [xenia elizabeth] said...

Melissa,
I agree with you on tree branches. I love them--drawing, photographing, looking. The drawing you did looking at the tree has some great line work and you're capturing the tapering of branches really well. You can tell a huge difference between it and the one out of your head--keep drawing from observation, it will make everything else you create more specific, 3D, and dynamic.

Great to have you in the class this semester.

September 20, 2009 at 7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home